Thursday, May 23, 2013

Yummmm... Camp food!

Last weekend was a long weekend here in Canada so my husband and I decided to go camping! Our daughter was away visiting her cousin so we took advantage of the quiet!! Horrible parents, eh?

Since I didn't have to worry about feeding our daughter this camp trip and being a good parent by making sure that all the meals were balanced, we picked from our favorite foods from past camping trips. We wanted simple but yummy as we were planning on just relaxing that weekend and maybe taking a lunch for a picnic somewhere.

Here is the menu (prettied up, of course!) that I came up with:

(To download a pdf  of this menu, click here: weekend camp menu for two)

I like to pre-wash, pre-cut, pre-package as much as I can for camp food.  I also like to freeze as much as I can as well so it stays cold, particularly the meat. Breakfast is usually cooked on the camp stove as my brain doesn't function well first thing in the morning so I also make sure breakfast can be cooked by my husband.  Lunch is no-cook and usually portable.  Dinner is our meal of the day and is always done on the campfire! Evening snacks are usually campfire based as well since we already have it going.  No point in wasting good coals!!

You'll notice that drinks aren't included on the menu.   We are pretty boring with our liquids while camping... coffee in the morning (juice if our daughter was with us), water throughout the day, and maybe a can of sparkling juice or hot cider in the evening.  There's an alcohol ban on in the provincial parks here until July 2nd so no beer or wine right now.

I hope my weekend menu inspires you to eat well while you're camping!

1 comment:

  1. I really like your camp menu layout. I am planning our upcoming family camping trip and would love to use your template. However, our trip is longer and I need to add extra days to it. Would you mind sharing it for me to access and modify for our trip?

    ReplyDelete